Corso Monforte 35 - Milan
In the Duchy of Milan, along the Corso Monforte, arised in the Parish of San Babila-not far from the Casa degli Umiliati di San Damiano - the palace mentioned by the Marchese Gerolamo Parravicino in his Will of 1497, the first historical source that bounced back the research on Isimbardi Palace.
It was not large but it was an elegant country residence, located outside of the city walls, in the area that was considered the garden of Milan, Viridarium, from which the name of Via Vivaio derives. The house was remodeled over the centuries according to owners’ preferences. It belonged to the local nobility that was considered the upper middle class at that time until the acquisition by the Province of Milan in the 30s of the XX Century.
Palazzo Isimbardi, whose oldest part dates back to the sixteenth century, is the headquarter of the Metropolitan City of Milan. It is the residence of the Mayor, Deputy Mayor, Director General, Secretary General, the Metropolitan Council and its organs.
URP / Public Relations Office, General Services, General Protocol, Accounting, Human Resources, Procurement and Contracts, superintendency, and Advocacy departmnts also have their headquarters in this building.
Despite being the hosting place for the daily administrative activities, Palazzo Isimbardi is open to the public for free guided tours to its remarkable artistic heritage, which also includes an oil on canvas attributed to Giambattista Tiepolo, and its Library, which has important collections and laws related to the history of the territory.
Palazzo Isimbardi is also home to Milan Center for Food Law and Policy.
The square in front of the Palace hosts the sculpture "The Man of Light“. It was donated in 2008 to the citizens on the occasion of the Day of Remembrance of all victims of terrorism and massacres and was established on May the 9th, the anniversary Aldo Moro’s murder.